Sunday, August 11, 2024

Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart

138 Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart

1 Spirit of God, descend upon my heart,
   wean it from sin, through all its pulses move.
   Stoop to my weakness, mighty as you are,
   and make me love you as I ought to love.

2 I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
   no sudden rending of the veil of clay,
   no angel visitant, no opening skies;
   but take the dimness of my soul away.

3 Did you not bid us love you, God and King,
   love you with all our heart and strength and mind?
   I see the cross— there teach my heart to cling.
   O let me seek you and O let me find!

4 Teach me to feel that you are always nigh;
   teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
   to check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
   teach me the patience of unceasing prayer.

5 Teach me to love you as your angels love,
   one holy passion filling all my frame:
   the fullness of the heaven-descended Dove;
   my heart an altar, and your love the flame.
                         George Croly
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
I don't recall ever singing this hymn. It occurs in 333 hymnals and is the most popular hymn that this person wrote. I do like the variation that hymnary.org gives for the first line: "Spirit of God, who dwells within my heart." It definitely is more scriptural!
</idle musing>

No comments: