Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Have faith in God, my heart

141 Have faith in God, my heart

Have faith in God, my heart,
   trust and be unafraid;
   God will fulfil in every part
   each promise he has made.

2. Have faith in God, my mind,
   although your light burns low;
   God’s mercy holds a wiser plan
   than you can fully know.

3. Have faith in God, my soul,
   his cross for ever stands;
   and neither life nor death can tear
   his children from his hands.

4. Lord Jesus, make me whole;
   grant me no resting place
   until I rest, heart, mind, and soul,
   the captive of your grace.
                         Bryn Austin Rees
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
I don't recall ever singing this hymn and it only occurs in 20 hymnals, so I doubt I would have heard it anywhere. The story behind the hymn is quite powerful. Seems he wrote it after one of many bombing raids on his English town during WWII. You can read the entire story here.
</idle musing>

No comments: