Thursday, August 22, 2024

I've Found a Friend (hymn)

163 I've Found a Friend

1 I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend!
   He loved me ere I knew Him;
   He drew me with the cords of love,
   And thus He bound me to Him;
   And round my heart still closely twine
   Those ties which naught can sever,
   For I am His, and He is mine,
   Forever and forever.

2 I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend!
   He bled, He died to save me;
   And not alone the gift of life,
   But His own self He gave me.
   Naught that I have mine own I call,
   I’ll hold it for the giver;
   My heart, my strength, my life, my all
   Are His, and His forever.

3 I’ve found a Friend, O such a Friend!
   So kind and true and tender,
   So wise a counsellor and guide,
   So mighty a defender!
   From Him who loves me now so well,
   What power my soul shall sever?
   Shall life or death, shall earth or hell?
   No! I am His forever.
                         James G. Small
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

No comments: