Thursday, August 08, 2024

O happy day, that fixed my choice

128 O happy day, that fixed my choice

1 O happy day, that fixed my choice
   On thee, my Savior and my God!
   Well may this glowing heart rejoice,
   And tell thy goodness all abroad.

2 O happy bond, that seals my vows,
   To him who merits all my love!
   Let cheerful anthems fill his house,
   While to that sacred throne I move.

3 'Tis done, the great transaction's done;
   I am my Lord's, and he is mine.
   Help me, great God, to follow on,
   Obedient to thy voice divine.

4 Now rest, mine oft divided heart;
   Fix'd on this blissful centre, rest.
   With ashes who would grieve to part,
   When call'd on angels' bread to feast?

5 High heav'n, that heard the solemn vow,
   That vow renew'd shall daily hear;
   Till in life's latest hour I bow,
   And bless in death a bond so dear.
                         Philip Doddridge
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
A fairly common hymn, occurring in more than 1700 hymnals. Some add a chorus:

Happy day, happy day,
When Jesus washed my sins away!
He taught me how to watch and pray,
And live rejoicing every day;
Happy day, happy day,
When Jesus washed my sins away!
</idle musing>

No comments: