Monday, August 05, 2024

I Am Coming to the Cross

116 I Am Coming to the Cross

1 I am coming to the cross;
   I am poor and weak and blind;
   I am counting all but dross;
   I shall full salvation find.

2 Long my heart has sighed for Thee;
   Long has evil reigned within;
   Jesus sweetly speaks to me--
   "I will cleanse you from all sin."

3 Here I give my all to Thee--
   Friends and time and earthly store;
   Soul and body Thine to be--
   Wholly Thine forevermore.

4 I am trusting, Lord, in Thee,
   Blessed Lamb of Calvary;
   Humbly at Thy cross I bow,
   Save me, Jesus, save me now.

5 Jesus comes! He fills my soul!
   Perfected in Him I am;
   I am every whit made whole:
   Glory, glory to the Lamb!
                         William McDonald
                         The Methodist Hymnal 1964 edition

<idle musing>
A fairly popular hymn, although I don't recall ever singing it. It occurs in 841 hymnals. Some add the following refrain:

I am trusting, Lord, in thee,
Dear Lamb of Calvary;
Humbly at thy cross I bow,
Save me, Jesus, save me now.
</idle musing>

No comments: